Welcome to Wesley-Knox!
Moving in the Spirit...
A diverse, welcoming, caring and active faith community
A place to learn, grow, build a relationship with God and make a difference in the world
Thank you for visiting our website. If you are a Wesley-Knox member looking for information, we hope you will find it here. If you are a visitor, we hope you will take time to look around and learn about our church. For additional information, please contact us, or better yet, visit us on a Sunday morning. You will receive a warm welcome!
Come this Sunday at 10:30 am!
We’re at 91 Askin Street in Old South London...
Click here for a Google map
You will receive a warm welcome.
News and Events...
This Sunday at Wesley-Knox
• Join us for worship this Sunday at 10:30 am led by candidate for ministry Barbara McGill. Service bulletin available here.
• A special note re Summer Worship for Children and Youth: Our Nursery and Children's Worship (JK-grade 5) are open and will be staffed all summer long. Those in Grade 6 and older who choose not to attend adult worship are welcome to volunteer in our Children's Worship classes and Nursery. For more information, please contact Barbara McGill.
• Sunday School Parents! By now you have probably heard that that, at the end of August, Barbara McGill will be stepping down as our Director of Children’s and Youth Ministry to give her more time to work towards her goal of becoming a full-time diaconal minister in the United Church of Canada. Her message about her decision and what it will mean for the Sunday School can be read online here.
• The Pentecost-Spring KSC continues to be available online here.
• The Crossan2017.com website will be ready soon. Thank you for your patience.
Employment Opportunity: Director of Children’s and Youth Ministry
Wesley-Knox United Church, London, is looking for a Director of Children’s and Youth Ministry who can provide Sunday morning Vision and Leadership for the spiritual growth and education for youth from 0 to 18 years in age. Contract: 10 hrs/week over 12 months. Full details available here.
Celebration for Barb McGill
Hello everyone. As you have probably heard by now, Barb McGill is stepping down from her roles as Director, Children’s and Youth Ministry and her role Director, Primary Choir as part of her journey toward Diaconal Ministry in the United Church of Canada. Thankfully, she and her family will remain members of our Wesley-Knox community of faith.
Barb has had an enormous impact on the lives of families, children and youth at Wesley-Knox and we want to celebrate her accomplishments and wish her well on the next steps of her journey. On Sunday, September 10, we will host a special celebration during worship for Barb where we will share laughs and stories, and later of course, cake!
We are beginning to plan this celebration and hope to include some of you in it. If you would be willing to participate please contact Trevor Johnson. Also, all members of the congregation are being offered an opportunity to contribute towards a gift for Barb. Starting in August, there will be special envelopes on the back table in the sanctuary. They will also be available in the church office during the week. Please mark your envelope “Gift for Barb” and put your envelope number on the outside of the envelope.
We are busy planning for new staff to take on Barb’s roles and we look forward to the gifts that these new individuals will bring to our community beginning this fall. Thank you. —Cathy Grasby chair Wesley-Knox Council and Official Board, Trevor Johnson, chair Wesley-Knox Ministry and Personnel Committee
Proposed New Governance Model
On May 17, the Wesley-Knox Official Board accepted a report to reform the Governance Model of Wesley-Knox as a pilot project for 2017. Copies of the report are available on the table at the back of the church sanctuary, in the church office, and online below. Here are some of the highlights:
• The current structure of ”Council and Official Board“ will be phased out. A transition team will lead the congregation through this process.
• A nine-member leadership team plus the Minister, will replace the current Board and Council structure.
• The number of Standing Committees will be reduced from eleven to six.
• The six Committees will play an expanded role in the “day-to-day activities” of our church.
• As a church member or adherent, you will have an opportunity to take an active role in the work of the six committees. May God lead you in this direction...
Prepare yourself for a “Lunch and Learn” meeting after church on Sunday, October 15. This “Lunch and Learn” will be part of the regular communication that will be coming from the transition team to ensure that you understand the governance model and the process by which it will be implemented.—Cathy Grasby, chair, Council and Official Board
October Lecture Weekend...
here) on the historical Jesus and Early Christian Movement, has accepted an invitation to offer four-lectures on God, Empire and Violence at Wesley-Knox United Church this year on the weekend of October 20–22. Keynote lecture on Friday evening, remaining three lectures on Saturday finishing by 3 pm. Dominic will also offer an open Question and Answer session Sunday morning and the sermon at 10:30 worship. More information here in an article from the Pentecost Kindred Spirit Connection, and later this summer as detailed plans come together.• John Dominic Crossan, the highly respected Jesus scholar and author of some 20 books (selected bibliography available
Notes from All Over
• Congratulations to Kennedy Kimber-Johnson and Owen Spicer who were each awarded a $250 Spirit Organ Scholarship to assist them in their ongoing studies. The two scholarships were provided by the Wesley-Knox Senior Choir.
• Wesley-Knox is sponsoring a family from Syria. They all arrived safely last Thanksgiving Day weekend! They are grateful to be here and have been coming to Sunday worship regularly. More information on the Syrian Family page here.
• Kevin White’s new Bread not Stones song is now available on YouTube. Listen to it here! Also, if you are a subscriber to Rogers Cablevision, check out the channel 13 the program guide for an excellent 30-minute Dishing with Donald segment about the Bread not Stones initiative. Also look for a 30-minute Dishing segment about our Wesley-Knox Director of Music, Karen Schuessler, and the Karen Schuessler Singers, this year celebrating its 25th Anniversary Season!
• Christmas is coming! Cathie Banks advises that there is lots of wool at the back of the sanctuary. Knitters! Please take wool home and do your magic! Knitted articles can be left on the large table at the back of the sanctuary.
Photographers’ Picks and Videofiles...
Wesley-Knox was front and centre at the Sunday, July 30 London Pride Parade.
More photos of this event and other recent events on the Wesley-Knox Facebook page here.
Throughout the year, at almost every Wesley-Knox event, you’ll find Brian Dalton, Brian Mackinnon, John McFall and sometimes others taking photos. Often, within minutes, they are posted to a Wesley-Knox Facebook page. The photos are also archived on Flickr and, once a year, John McFall dives into this vast archive to produce a comprehensive and much-appreciated pictorial review for the Annual General Meeting. Here is John’s 2016 Pictorial Review, music is by our Wesley-Knox choirs. To view, click on the image below. You will be taken to a YouTube site. Choose full screen, turn up the sound and enjoy!